Thursday, January 04, 2007

Venison chili


So I cooked venison (deer to the lay person :)) for the first time last night. I live in Mississippi, so naturally I have eaten venison before....but never cooked it. I'll have to say I'm not a big fan. I apparently just have some sort of mental block against it. I'm blaming it on the Disney movie Bambi. anyways, one of my step brothers gave Daniel and I tons of ground deer meat, so I figured if I cooked chili with it, I would never know the difference. I was wrong. I mixed it with ground hamburger meat, but I swear I think I had a grimace on my face the whole time I cooked it. It's so red and bloody looking and it just has this smell- not bad, just not normal (ie not groung hamburger or turkey smell). I ate a bowl of it and it didn't taste bad, but I was kind of grossed out the whole time. I tried to just shovel it in without thinking or tasting. Daniel ate 2 big bowls and says it was really good, but I just don't know if mentally I can do it. Unfortunately, I have a freezer full of venison chili, so I guess I'm going to have to suck it up and learn to love it. I am a great lover of food and it goes against everything that I am to eat something that I am not craving or savoring or in some way enjoying. My mouth is watering with nausea just thinking about it.... I know it tasted good, but I don't think there is any getting past this mental block against it. I need therapy.

No comments: