Based on how delicious my chicken fried rice looked in the picture in my last post, several of you, my faithful readers, have requested the recipe. Let me start off by telling you how I came about said recipe (and I use this term lightly)
1. I had chicken fried rice at P.F. Chang's in Seattle and it was so wonderful I've been craving it ever since.
2. I had leftover chicken and a wok I had never used.
3. I called Corinne (the only person I've ever known to make their own fried rice)to get some instruction. Her instructions were basically: saute whatever veggies you have in some olive oil, then add some cooked rice, then scoot that to the side and cook an egg in the same pan, then season with soy sauce. I modified this recipe slightly and provided it below. The main difference is I used veggie oil instead of olive oil. I have heard that olive oil will get too hot and burn in a wok, so I took that to heart and made the switch.
1. Heat wok on med-med/high heat
2. Crack two eggs into wok and scramble them. Remove from wok when cooked.
3. Add about 1 Tablespoon veggie oil to hot wok
4. Add chopped onions and carrots to oil (I chopped about a cup of each)
5. When onions and carrots are starting to soften (after about 3 minutes) I added some frozen, whole green beans that I chopped into bite size pieces. Saute until they turn bright green (just a few minutes)
6. Add cooked white rice (I did about 3 cups?)
7. Add another tablespoon or two of veggie oil
8. Mix the rice with the veggies and let it 'cook' a few minutes. I recommend using a very flexible plastic spatula to turn the mixture while it's cooking.
9. Add chopped cooked chicken and mix with rice and veggies
10. Cook until it looks warmed through and some of the rice is starting to turn a very light golden brown.
11. Add previously cooked chopped up scrambled egg to mixture and fold in.
12. Remove from heat, but while wok is still hot, add a few drops of toasted sesame oil and low sodium soy sauce.
13. Toss thoroughly to coat the mixture and then pig out!!!
As you can see, this is a very in-exact recipe. I just winged it and it was amazingly good. Daniel made me make it again the next day for lunch. There is no way you can screw this up! Next time I will add green onions and maybe snow peas, but the toasted sesame oil really makes this recipe.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
what's that you say? fried rice for dinner tonight? sure thing!
Chippy makes awesome fried rice too, except I'm sure yours is better because he doesn't add the yum veggies you do. So his is pretty much, rice, egg, butter, soy and some spice- it's still killer - with some chicken and teriyaki.
I want to come over and eat rice at your house tonight...ok? See you soon!
Post a Comment