Friday, April 10, 2009

Nekkid Kitty

For those of you who aren't familiar with our pets, let me take a moment to tell you about Gracie. Gracie is a beautiful Himalayan cat that people love to ooohhhhh and ahhhh over. Unfortunately, beauty is only skin deep. Gracie has always been skittish, but when I lived alone she would sleep on the bed with me and interact with me. When Daniel moved in, that all changed. She pretty much wanted nothing to do with us after that. When we moved to our new house, we decided there would be no more litter box, so both cats got das boot! They didn't mind at all! They are both hard core killers and love having lots of yard and woods to play and hunt in. The side affect of this is that Gracie's long hair became incredibly matted. We even made a point to catch her (not an easy feat mind you) and try and brush and cut out the matts, but we couldn't do any damage to them. They got so bad that she started pulling them out and was bald in spots. It was time to take aggressive action, so yesterday I had Gracie shaved. They weighed her before her shave and she was 11 + pounds. Guarantee she's not 11 pounds now.

Before:


After:




Can't blame her for being a little camera shy at this point. In the long run she'll be much happier without all those matts and she'll be much cooler this summer! I'm going to endeavor to capture her once a week to give her a good brushing to try and prevent this from happening again.

Before I forget, I hope you all have a Happy Easter! I have to work tomorrow, so we'll be staying in Oxford for the first time ever in my whole life! A big group of friends and all their kids are getting together for Easter dinner after church Sunday, so we still celebrate the season with 'family'.

3 comments:

Leah Maria said...

Poor Gracie!!! She looks so pitiful!!

Lisa Blair said...

Aw! Kitties have minds of their own, don't they? Always getting into something. She looks pretty sad, but it is for the best I'm sure.

I sure hope I get one for my birthday!

:)
:)
:)

Ginger said...

Aw poor girl! I have a long-haired cat named Gracie, too. I cut out the mats but it takes forever and I'm always worried I'll hurt her.

My best friend shaves her long-haired persian a couple times a year.

I guess there is a price to pay for the beauty of a long-haired cat! I NEVER need to groom my short-haired cat!